Wednesday, March 21, 2012

MY BIRTHDAY.........ANGEL FOOD CAKE!

We had a tradition in our family when it was your birthday........you picked what you wanted for Birthday dinner and what kind of cake you wanted.  As far back as I can remember, mine was angel food cake with lemon/orange frosting.  Today, I am 69 years old.  Boy, does that sound old BUT...........not feeling that old.  Looking out through my eyes..........I still think I am 39! LOL
It is raining.........so staying at home today.  Made a decision to make myself a cake.  So here it is.........My Mom made this for me the majority of my 69 years and she made the best angel food cake in the world..........I could never duplicate it.........until my son, Dustin, the Chef, told me what I was doing wrong..........Finally I have it down and it tastes just like Moms.  First set out 1 1/2 cups of egg whites.........about 10 to 12 eggs.......let them come to room temp. about an hr.

Next set the oven at 350 degrees with the rack one rack up from the bottom.  On a piece of wax paper.........measure 1 1/2 cups of sifted powdered sugar and 1 cup sifted flour and 1/4 tsp salt.
In your mixer whip the egg whites just til frothy........add 1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter and continue to beat til very soft peaks.......then beat in 1 cup of granulated sugar very slowly........beat just til FLOPPY soft peaks form.......slowly stir in 1 tsp vanilla. 

Now, gently, take you time, fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg whites, once folded in add another 1/3 and fold DO NOT STIR........you don't want to break the egg whites........now fold in the last 1/3 of the flour mixture.  Gently dump this into your tube pan and bake for 45 minutes.

When you remove from the oven.......turn you tube pan upside down on a old wine bottle to cool completely.  When cool..........frost.

Frosting:  In a mixer bowl add 1/2 cup soft butter and about 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat.  Now add the grated rind of a lemon and the grated rind of an orange.  Mix........now add some of the fresh squeezed lemon juice and the same with the orange.....just a little.......then add about 2 more cups of powdered sugar........Mix should be the consistency of frosting HA HA.

Frost your cake and enjoy............I will.  Happy Birthday to me..........!

No comments:

Post a Comment