Saturday, February 11, 2012

OYSTER STEW

It is a beautiful clear blue sky today but bitter cold.  So, oyster stew sounded really good.  When I was a child my Mother made oyster stew for my Father.........a favorite of his........I loved the broth but refused to eat the oysters.........I've grown up...........I love the stew AND the oysters.

I chop a couple strips of bacon into small pieces and brown in the bottom of a medium size pot.  Once they have started to brown and released some of that wonderful bacon grease.......I add chopped celery and chopped onion.  About a cup of each depending on how much you are making.  Saute til soft........then I dump in a can of oysters plus the juice........if they are whole you may want to cut in two but I like mine whole.

Now add a couple cups of milk..........simmer...........do not bring to a boil or you will curdle your milk.  In a separate pan cook til soft........a cubed potato.  Drain and add to your stew.  I salt and pepper to taste and always add a dash of cayenne.  Just simmer til ready to serve........Its great with just saltine crackers OR.........there is a reason they are called oyster crackers........perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment