Sunday, February 12, 2012

VALENTINES DAY AND RED VELVET CAKE! OOOPS COOKIES!

Here it is Valentines day......almost.......that always brings to mind Red Velvet Cake.  I wish I had a dime for every red velvet cake I have made!! My recipe card is so fragile.....dated 1967.....45 years old!!!  This was Jodes favorite and I even made his wedding cake.......4 huge tiers...8 layers.....red velvet! When I lived in Cabo I made red velvet cakes to order for lots of young couples having a special dinner.  I personally love it too.........my favorite cake.  Well, I found this recipe for red velvet cookies...........now, being a purist.......I never dreamed I would like them as well but decided to try them.........was I ever wrong!  You must try these.......so easy and would be so fun for the kids.......instead of a piece of cake on a plate........just hold one in your hand.......it works.

Cream tog 1/4 cup (half a cube) of softened butter and 1 cup sugar.
Add 2 eggs, one at a time.
Now add 2 Tblsp buttermilk, 2 tsp vinegar, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 bottle of red food coloring
Mix well and then add:
1 1/3 cup flour
2 Tblsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix well and drop in big Tblsp (actually an ice cream scoop size) onto a cookie sheet........I sprayed with Pam or you could use parchment paper.......about 2" apart........should make about 8 to 12 on a sheet.  Bake 350 about 10-12 min.
Remove to rack to cool.
FROSTING:
I am still the purist and insist on the original Red Velvet Frosting........if you ever make it........you will understand.
In a pan on stove put 3/4 cup milk and 3 1/2 Tblsp flour........cook and stir til thickened.......once thick.......set aside to cool.
Cream 1/2 cup soft butter with 1/2 sugar.  Then add 1 Tblsp of the cooled milk and flour mixture at a time.......mixing well after each addition.
Frost the back side of a cookie and then top with another (like a sandwich) Wrap each one in saran wrap and put in the frig.........ready to go........so easy.........so good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment