Thursday, January 5, 2012

MISTYS WHITE BEAN SOUP FROM PUERTO RICO

Okay........I have to learn about this blog........this has happened to me about 3 times..........I get the whole blog typed out and hit a strange key and loose the WHOLE thing!! SOOOOO, we'll try it again!!  This makes me very angry...................sigh

Not sure about your weather but ours is absolutely delightful........72 degrees today!! It's like spring.  I love soup in the winter when its cold but then I got to thinking, actually I love soup year round.  I just really love soup and must have a jillion soup recipes.  A few years ago Misty and Eric were in Puerto Rico.  They had dinner at the restaurant Marmalade in Old San Juan and it was so delicious that they went back twice.  They had the White Bean Soup and just loved it so much Misty finally asked the Chef for the recipe and he gave it to her..........Its wonderful!

Instead of using dry navy beans........I have substituted a can of Cannelli beans.  I have cut the main recipe down to fit 2 or 3 people.

Cook 2 slices fo bacon til really crispy.  Remove the bacon, when cool, chop up and set aside.
In the grease fry 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped celery on med/high.  When the onions are soft and translucent add the can of Canneli beans, drained, a little fresh thyme, 2 cloves of garlic smashed, 2 Tblsp butter, 1/4 cup cream and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth.  Bring this all to a boil and simmer for about 30 min or more.  Remove from heat and let cool about 30 min and then dump all in the blender and blend til smooth.............salt, pepper and garnish with your chopped bacon and chopped scallions AND TRUFFLE OIL!  Now, I can't buy truffle oil here........but even if I could......its terribly expensive.  BUT if you have some.....just drizzle on top.  I will say.......its delicious without it. 
Now, I have made this twice and made it two ways.........one where I blended it all til smooth and the second time I didn't blend it but left it chunky.  It was wonderful both ways..........serve with a nice buttery crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment