Monday, January 2, 2012

RED EYED GRAVY AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope everyone had a great new years celebration and good dinner yesterday!  Did anyone gain a couple pounds through the holidays?  I did...........sorry to say..........too much homemade candy........I ate the chocolate salted camels by the hands full!!  Soooooo must work on eating salads and light food........LOL........thats a joke.......never will happen.  So I heard from several of you wondering what red eye gravy is..........didn't realize it was not in everyones recipes!

When you baked your ham.........Always bone-in, always fat side up, always open pan, always at 325 degrees.  When done...........never over cook........will be dry.  About 25 min per pound.  Anyway, when your ham is done and you take it out of your pan.........in the bottom is all of this red and black/brown gue..........This is delightful.........REAL red eye gravy is just this guie stuff mixed with a little hot water and whisked.........it is totally runny like water.........I like to put my gravy on my potatoes and/or corn bread......so I thicken it. 
You have the gue in the pan........sprinkle with a little flour.......whisk up the goodies.......add hot water and continue to whisk over med/high heat........til just a little thick.........you can not even imagine how good this is........be sure to do this next time you bake a ham. 
Did you enjoy the black eyed peas?  Black eyed peas and red eyed gravy........a good southern dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment