Sunday, May 8, 2011

CROW, MOTHERS DAY AND MULBERRIES

Well, do I ever have to eat crow today!! First I announce to the world that "Bob never wins" and then of course he does win and I loose terribly........my horses were so far back that you wonder if they were even in the race!  Then after we were so excited that he did win........only to find out our friend Rebecca didn't get my info in time to make the bet!  sigh.  But we'll move on to the Preakness and hope he does as well.......both Bob and Animal Kingdom.

Today I discovered a Mulberry tree in the far corner of our back yard.......I didn't even know it was there.  We have an absolute GIANT cedar tree in that back corner and I found this Mulberry tree growing out of the middle of the cedar tree.  It was covered in little purple/black berries!  Bob warned me immediately that they were poisonous!  I had to pull "mulberries" up on the internet to prove to him......they were great to eat. I suspect when he was a small boy in Texas his grandmother told him they were poisonous so he wouldn't eat all of them!  It has stuck with him for 71 years! Think of that, all you Mothers out there, something you say today..........may last 71 years with your kids!
Made 1/2 of a pie with them........2 cups, the little stems are okay, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Tblsp flour, dash of salt. Mix all tog and put in an unbaked pie shell........cover top with pie dough, poke holes, brush with a little milk or cream..........Bake 400 for 10 min and turn to 350 for another 30 min.  Next I'll try to get enough to make some Mulberry Jam.  So good.

We are celebrating our Mothers today!  We all have fun and special memories of our Moms.........today is a day to reflect.  It is great to have so many recipes of my Moms.......each time I make one of them........I think of her..........a great lady.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mothers Day Lynne. Love that Animal Kingdom give Bob something to brag about ... hmmm....
    besos to you
    dk

    ReplyDelete