Tuesday, May 17, 2011

ENGLISH PASTIES!

Another beautiful day!  More planting........I know it sounds like I do alot of planting but its just a little everyday.  Bob was reading his Smithsonian magazine about a little community that Henry Ford built on the upper pennisula of Michigan. He designed it as a source for the lumber he needed to produce his first cars. This little English community has a special food item that people travel all over to eat........English Pasties.  Pronounced "passties".  He decided he was really hungry for one of these..........so after looking up many recipes.........I zeroed in on one and fixed him an English Pastie Pie.

Now, we all know that the English are not famous for their food.........a little bland.  We have several personal friends direct from England and have shared many dinners with them.  They are great cooks so I am not bunching them all into the same bunch.  I doctored up this recipe just a bit and it turned out absolutely delicious!

Please use your pie dough that you purchased from the store........it works fine. You need a lb of hamburger, 1/2 cup chopped onions, 2 small carrots cut into almost tiny pieces, 1 large potato cut into cubes and I threw in some shredded cabbage. (I guess about a cup) Brown your hamburger and onions with salt, pepper and a couple shakes of cayenne.
Dump in the cabbage cook just a bit.........drain off any grease......dump in the raw potatoes and carrots and remove from heat.  Roll out your bottom pie dough and place in pie pan........dump in the hamburger mixture, more salt and lots of pepper. Place the top piece of pie dough over......that you have cut slits in.......and crimp your edges tight.  Sir an egg with a fork and brush your top crust with the egg.........throw in a 350 oven for an hour........check in 45 min.  Now, these can be made as individual pies.........would make about 6 and placed on a cookie sheet and bake about 30 min.  I just thought they might be a bit dry.......so made as one pie.  I made a brown gravy from a mix..........oh, I hate to say that out loud......but they do have some really good gravy mixes now.......the kind in the packages.  I served this with the pie and it was absolutely great!! I was really surprised.  A great "comfort food" dinner and went tog really easy.  A "shout out" to my English friends!  Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Lynne - had a pool party with the GIRLS and had a Great time. GREAT food and wine (oh ... and the margaritas made by me)
    You would be so proud of me ... I made ORZO salad - with a lemon vodka dressing ... feta cheese, parsley, purple onion and some olives. YUM! (oh ..and some broccoli bits)

    ReplyDelete