Friday, May 27, 2011

WALMART and APPLE PIE TOPPING

I have really never been a Walmart shopper.  Living in Mexico we didn't have a Walmart until just the last couple of years before I moved..........ever been to a Mexican Walmart?!!  I now live in the heart of Walmart country.  We have a couple local grocery stores but Walmart is close and of course carries more than just groceries.  It is a one-stop for everything and anything.  I cuss it, out loud, every time I go.......for not having what I came for (looking for some gourmet item) ......but more for not being organized.........no pricing on some things but the biggy is.......like I found yesterday........fresh corn on the cob...38 cents an ear........not twenty feet away another bin of fresh corn on the cob.........33 cents an ear!!  I asked the little man........what is the difference in the corn.......he said," nothing.......all comes from a big bin in the back."  Strange. I did get a deal on blueberries.......TWO prices under the blueberries 99 cents and 2.98.......for the same size!  Checking out.......I insisted on the 99 cents and they all had a huge conference........I was right.......price was changed BUT I got the only basket at 99 cents.  Persistence pays off.........remember that.  Oh, and yes, I have witnessed a few shoppers I would like to have on film!! Maybe its me cussing out loud.

Today, threw tog a pot of leftovers........little bits of ham, cabbage, carrots, onions, navy beans and potatoes.  Simmered several hours........sprinkled a little hot sauce on my serving........was great. I made the cornbread this time.........won't trust him with cornbread again for awhile.

I love salty and sweet tog.  So made the bottom of a small apple pie.......we all know how to do that.......except I make mine only with brown sugar.......I like the carmally thing.  Then I made a crumbly topping.  About 3/4 cup flour, 3 Tblsps of brown sugar.....1 Tblsp white sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup chopped pecans and about 1/4 cup of soft butter.  Mush this all up and drop in dollops all over the top of the pie..........then sprinkle all with a little salt.  Wow!  This brings out the flavor big time.  Bake at 350 for about an hour and 15 min.  It is so good..........I have eaten half of it all by myself!  Oh, dear.

1 comment:

  1. Lynne I do love reading your blog and every word I imagine your voice reading aloud and you standing on one leg with a cig in one hand and glass of wine in the other. I want to come be your student for a week!

    Love your easy style of writing as if you are really just having a good ole conversation with the girls! love and miss you xxoo

    ReplyDelete