Friday, May 13, 2011

REMEMBER THE HAM BONE?

For those that have asked where I was yesterday..........it wasn't my fault.........the Blogger Site was down! I hope it doesn't happen again.......I will go into "Blogger Withdrawal"! 
Remember the ham we had for Easter?  Well, I froze the bone with a little meat on it, for ham and beans later...........thats today.  Its raining again........sigh.

I'm sure everyone knows how to make ham and beans but mine might be a bit different.  First of all I have never soaked a bean over night in my life.  Why do "they" say to do that?  Not a clue.  Believe me, we are bean lovers and I have cooked every kind of bean you can imagine. Even some from Mexico that I still don't know what they were.  I am using pinto beans today but also love navy beans with the ham bone.  I just take my dried beans, rinse them well, put them into a big pot of water, add my ham bone, a little salt, lots of pepper, dash of cayenne, and bring it all to a boil. Turn it down to simmer and simmer for several hours.  If the beans absorb too much water........just add a little more as you go.  Cook to your liking.......might like them a little mushy or maybe a little firm, or soupy or thicker, whatever you choose........they will be great.

We usually have cornbread with ours and Bob likes cut up onions in vinegar with his. Oh, and a southern thing.........fried potatoes with ham and beans!  Not sure I'm into that but to each his own. Did a little flower planting today.........getting ready to make mulberry jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment