Wednesday, May 18, 2011

MEXICAN FOOD IS DUE.........ITS POZOLE!

Even though its cloudy today..........its a really nice day.  Everything is so green. I have squash, tomatoes, okra, thyme, dill, and basil all coming up!! I have a huge rosemary plant that I moved indoors last fall....we moved it back outside for the summer but it will take a fork lift to get it back in the house in the fall!   AND I picked about 6 strawberries!  I will freeze them until I get a batch for jam.  I have a reader that loves Pozole so today........since it is cloudy it was a good day for pozole.

There are tons of recipes for pozole.........but it is basically hominy and pork or chicken or both.  Today I used boneless pork ribs.  I brought those to a boil in about 6 cups of chicken broth.  I simmered this for about 2 hours.  As soon as the pork is tender.  Dump in a large can of drained hominy.  In a good size fry pan saute........1 Chopped onion, 2 chopped carrots, chopped fresh green beans.....about 1/2 cup to 1 cup. (you can use canned or frozen green beans just don't add them til about 15 min before serving.) After you have sauteed that for a bit, dump in 2 chopped tomatoes, and 2-3 dried New Mexico red chilies (seeded) and cut in thick slices, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 1/2 tsp cumin and 1 tsp mexican dried oregano.  Dump all of this into your pot of meat.  Break the meat up into pieces with a spoon.  Simmer all of this about an hour. Then just before serving add 1 cup of chopped cilantro.  At serving you can add fresh cut up green onions and pieces of fried tortillas or chips crushed a bit or not. Now.......I felt mine wasn't quite hot enough so I added a small can of chopped green chilies and a large sprinkling of Tabasco.  It was sooooooo good!  You could serve cheese quesadillas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment