Monday, May 9, 2011

MY MOMS BBQ SAUCE

It is 88 degrees today!  I was really sick of the rain but not sure I was ready for this yet...........the lawn did finally dry out and Bob was able to finish mowing the front 1/2 acre. Everything is so green. I decided today on barbeque pork with potato salad and baked beans.  Sort of summery.  Fifty years ago, there were only a few bottled barbeque sauces that could be purchased at the grocery store. Not like today........we have so many choices and some are really good but my mind always goes back to my Moms homemade sauce.

You need a slab of pork ribs. I cut my in about 4 pieces. Throw them in a good heavy  pan, like a 9 x 13. Salt and pepper and sprinkle all over with lemon juice. Lemon juice helps bring the flavor out in everything! Bake in oven, uncovered, at 350 for about 30 min. Just til starting to brown.  In the mean time make the sauce. In a pan on the stove........1 cup ketsup, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 Tblsp celery seed, 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup vinegar,  1/4 cup Worcester sauce, Tabasco and a couple drops of liquid smoke and 2 cups of water. Bring this all to a boil.......it will be very thin. Pour this all over the ribs and just let them continue to cook. Now and then check them and spoon the sauce over the ribs or turn them over. If it looks like the sauce is thickening too fast, add water, lift the ribs to get the water underneath. Cook til sauce has gotten nice and thick and the meat will be falling off the bone!  I remember my Dad licking his fingers and saying, "These are the best ribs you ever made!"  He said the same thing everytime he ate them. My Mom just smiled.  Bob licked his fingers, and said, "These are the best ribs you ever made!" ..........and I.....could see my Mom smiling.

1 comment: